History of the Hall

P2040871 small.jpg

After the end of the First World War the residents of Gateside met to decide on what form the village War Memorial should take.  At a meeting on 14th February 1919 they unanimously decided on a village hall.  Under the Chairmanship of Brigadier General G.R.H. Cheape D.S.O., M.C. of Wellfield they set about raising the necessary funds.  By August 1919 the fund stood at £785, much of this having been raised through door to door collections, but also through jumble sales and a concert.  Unfortunately, the first quote came in at  £2,175.  Various alternative quotations were sought and in June 1920 a quotation of £1,255 was accepted.  A feu on the land on which the hall was to be built was granted by the Chairman, and Mrs Cheape gifted the Memorial Stone.


The Memorial Hall was completed in the autumn of 1921 and was opened on Saturday 29th October 1921 by General Douglas Campbell C.B., C.M.G.  There was, however a shortfall of £60 10s 4d in the account and a sale of work was held after the opening ceremony to try to clear the debt.


In 1923 the Community Association was established to manage and maintain the Hall for the benefit of the residents of Gateisde.   Over the years the Hall has been used for a variety of functions which provided entertainment for the residents and a source of income for the upkeep of the hall.  Early events included regular dancing classes, a concert by the Balmoral Perrot and Dramatic Troupe, whist drives, cinemetograph entertainment and sales of work.  Prizes for guessing games at one fundraising event  in 1924 included a sheep, a pig, and duck and a drake, a load of firewood and a cheese.


In 1925, the kitchen extension was added and in 1926 the hall clock was donated by the W.R.I. and a new piano was donated.  Heating was installed in 1930.  


P6220012 (1) small.jpg



A major refurbishment programme was undertaken in 2007 after the Association won £50,000 in a Big Lottery People's Millions TV competition.  New windows and doors were installed and the toilets were re-modelled to create space for a disabled toilet.  The kitchen was also extensively refurbished.  Stainless steel catering standard units were installed along with a large range cooker.  Central heating was added in 2008 after a successful funding bid to Awards for All.  The Association would like to thank all those involved in this project, and particularly the villagers who helped to make the project a success.  All contractors worked very hard to ensure the project was completed on time and many gave freely of their time and resources.


Big Lottery Fund

Awards for All

George H Cook and Son Ltd, Skene Works, Strathmiglo, Fife, KY14 7QL

J.M. Davie

Robert Hopkins

Neil Keiller

Peter H Smith

Scobie & McIntosh - supply and installation of kitchen shelving and equipment

Scottish Gas - supply of insulation

Miller Pattison Ltd - fitting of insulation

Fife Council - grant towards woodworm treatment

Fife Environment Trust - stainless steel food preparation and sink units, a range cooker and a cooker hood. 

Co-operative Group - hot water boiler and other kitchen fittings

Craig and Rose - paint


The re-furbished Memorial Hall was re-opened on Sunday 22nd June by Sir Menzies Campbell MP.


IMG_0190 small.jpg


The Association continues to manage the hall role and is responsible for raising the funding necessary to ensure the long-term future of the hall.  Whilst a small grant is received from Fife Council, no other guaranteed financial support is received.   

Registered Charity: SC038682     © 2006-2017 Gateside and District Association     Email Webmaster